Shah Rukh Khan often referred to as the ‘King of Bollywood’ has been ruling the industry for quite awhile now. It was not the man himself but the media who awarded him the particular title back in the day when no other Bollywood superstar was able to match the stardom and box office success of King Khan. However, why him? Many other actors had a dominant run at the Indian box office in the past including the likes of Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan. Despite their existence, why is Shah Rukh Khan known as the ‘King of Bollywood’?
To clear your complications, we have compiled a list of reasons on why Shah Rukh Khan is the ‘King of Bollywood’ to let you understand his one of a kind Bollywood journey:
Shah Rukh Khan is a Self-Made Superstar
There has been a substantial debate on Nepotism in Bollywood. Most of the Bollywood stars have Bollywood lineage that has helped them grow their status in the film-making industry. However, when you look at SRK’s profile, you’ll know that the actor was born in a middle-class family in Delhi. His father used to run a transport company whereas his mother was a magistrate. At a young age of 15, his dad passed away due to cancer. The whole family business collapsed in paying money for his treatments. SRK’s mother had to act in a substitute role to run the family business. Despite the complications, Shah Rukh came to Mumbai in order to become an actor. He initiated his career with a small advertisement and look where he is now, at the top of the world.
Shah Rukh Khan is not a Naturally Gifted Superstar
When you look at handsome hunks like Hrithik Roshan, you’d be inclined towards watching them on the big screen more often. Though, on the other hand, Shah Rukh Khan is not as much good looking. He cannot dance like a professional. However, he has one thing that separates him from the rest. His ‘level of acting’ is on an entirely different level. His versatility impresses people to watch him more often. The actor has played many contrasting characters on the big screen and guess what? He has never failed to impress the audience, NEVER!
Shah Rukh Khan is a Great Human Being
Shah Rukh entered the film industry after a lot of struggles. He knows how much important family is. SRK is an honest person who likes to spend time with his family. Despite being in the industry for so many years, he has never been linked with any actress for having an affair. He is a family man who treasures his family more than anything in this world. Moreover, he never says ‘no’ to his friends. ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed,’ this quote defines his values.
Also, there is a reason why he is the most favorite co-star of almost every one of his female co-actresses. In addition to this, the actor has been part of many charity campaigns. He even won a UNESCO award for his charitable work. SRK often collaborates with the ‘Make A Wish’ foundation now and then to fulfill wishes of children around the world. He has adopted villages and helped a lot of people stating why he is a great human being.
Shah Rukh Khan’s Global Appeal Is Unmatched
Who can match SRK’s global appeal? Answer: NO ONE. The actor took Bollywood to many new countries including Germany and many other Asian, African and American countries. This action has helped Bollywood in expanding its reach in the outer world. During the 2012 Berlin International Film Festival, his film ‘My Name Is Khan’ got sold out in mere five seconds for a whopping price of 1,000 Euros each. Also, one of the German newspaper stated that his popularity was on par with that of Pope.
Shah Rukh Khan has launched many new actresses in Bollywood like Deepika Padukone, Anushka Sharma
Working with SRK is a dream for many actresses. The fact that the actor has launched many successful heroines like Anushka Sharma, Deepika Padukone, Preity Zinta and Shilpa Shetty in Bollywood shows why working with him is a dream debut for actresses.
Shah Rukh Khan is a Role Model
Shah Rukh Khan is not a just a normal human being who is living a healthy life. His life is acting as a fuel for many around the world. However, his struggles are incomparable. The actor has constructed an image of himself which forces people to admire his contributions to Bollywood as well as the world. He is one of the few people to be invited by Yale University, TED Talks, etc. He also received an Honorary Doctorate from Edinburgh University. Moreover, his speeches are as much inspiring as much his life is. Watch some of his inspiring speeches here:
Shah Rukh Khan is the ‘King of Romance’
From ‘Dilwale Dulhaniyan Le Jayenge’ to ‘Jab Harry Met Sejal’, Shah Rukh Khan’s co-actress have said again and again that he is the ‘King of Romance’. In fact, in the promotions of Jab Harry Met Sejal, SRK’s co-star Anushka Sharma said this regarding the actor:
“Extremely easy! There is a genuineness in his eyes that we all can see – that reflects on-screen. In my opinion, he even can romance a microphone.”
He set the standards of romancing heroines so high that everyone is ultimately left with the conclusion that: ‘No actor can perform romance better than Shah Rukh Khan on the big screen’
Shah Rukh Khan is the Second Richest Actor in the World
Shah Rukh Khan had to borrow money from his friends to go to film city back in his struggling days. However, now he is the second richest actor in the world. His earnings are even better than actors like Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Leonardo Di Caprio and many others. Apart from acting in movies, the actor also owns many businesses including Red Chillies Entertainment, his own production company. The actor also owns a cricket team in IPL.
Shah Rukh Khan is the ‘King of Awards’ as well
Shah Rukh has won many awards in the film making industry. Evidently, he is the only actor in Bollywood to have won eight Filmfare awards matching legend Dilip Kumar’s record. He has won numerous awards for his acting skills. Moreover, the actor has also won awards for charity works as well.
From playing the lover boy role in ‘Dilwale Dulhaniyan Le Jayenge’ to playing the villainous role in ‘Don’, SRK has done it all in his career. As a matter of fact, his charm is unmatchable. SRK’s vintage ‘Open Arms’ pose is going to stay fresh forever. These reasons clearly state why he was, he is, and he will remain the ‘King of Bollywood’ forever.
Top Ten Dialogues of Shah Rukh Khan
Remembering his contributions in the film-making world, here are his top ten dialogues:
- “Kabhi kabhi jeetne ke liye kuch haarna bhi padta hai … aur haar kar jeetne waale ko baazigar kehte hai” – Baazigar
- “Bade bade deshon mein aisi choti choti baatein hoti rehti hain” – Dilwale Dulhaniyan Le Jayenge
- “Hum ek baar jeete hai, ek baar marte hai, shaadi bhi ek baar hoti hai, aur pyar, ek baar hi hota hai” – Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- “Mohabbat bhi zindagi ki tarah hoti hai, har mod aasan nahi hota, har mod par khushi nahi milti. Par jab hum zindagi ka saath nahi chodte to hum mohabbat ka saath kyon chhode.” – Mohabbatein
- “Dosti keh alaava bhi kuch rishte hote hain. Kuch rishte joh hum samajhte nahin, kuch rishte jo hum samajhna nahin chahte, kuch rishte jinka koi naam nahin hota, sirf ehsaas hota hai, kuch rishte jinki koi deewar nahin hoti, sarhad nahin hoti. Aise rishte jo dil ke rishte hote hain, pyar ke rishte hote hain, mohabbat ke rishte hote hai.” – Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham
- “Kaun kambakht bardaasht karne ko peeta hai, hum toh peete hai ki yahan par baith sake, tumhe dekh sake, tumhe bardaasht kar sake.” – Devdaas
- “Agar kahi kabhi bhi koi dost ki zarrorat pade toh bas itna yaad rakhna ki sarhad paar ek aisa shaks hai jo aap ke liye apni jaan bhi de dega.” – Veer Zaara
- “Aaj, aaj ek hasi aur baant lo, aaj ek dua aur maang lo, aaj ek ansoon aur pee lo, aaj ek zindagi aur jee lo, aaj ek sapna aur dekh lo, aaj, kya pata, kal ho naa ho.” – Kal Ho Naa Ho
- “Sattar minute, sattar minute hai tumhare paas, shayad tumhari zindagi ke sabse khaas sattar minute. Aaj tum accha khelo ya bura, yeh sattar minute tumhe zindagi bhar yaad rahenge.” – Chak De! India
- “Itni shiddat se maine tumhe paane ki koshish ki hai, ki har zarre ne mujhe tumse milane ki koshish ki hai. Kehte hain agar kisi cheez ko dil se chaaho, toh poori kaynath tumhein usse milane ki koshish mein lag jaati hai.” – Om Shanti Om